1. Welcome to the Arc Flash Forum - A Global Community for Arc Flash and Electrical Safety!
    Join our global community and become part of the conversation
    • Create your user profile page - Tell us about yourself!
    • Add your profile photo
    • Post questions and responses
    • Contribute your articles to the Library
    • Receive weekly email updates
    • "Like" other member's posts
    • ...and much more!
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-874-8883

Thanks for stopping by! - Jim Phillips

Learn More About the Arc Flash Forum Here

Login Trouble? Lost Password? [Login Help]

2nd person required as safety man

Discussion in 'CSA Z462 Workplace Electrical Safety' started by FEC2, Mar 21, 2012.

Share this Site with others
  1. FEC2 Junior Level

I have a Canadian customer that tells me a 2nd person is required to act as a safety man when an electrician accesses MCC rooms or performs electrical testing. The safety person must know CPR and rescue techniques. I cannot find this requirement in either CSA Z462 or the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Is there another relevant code at play here (OHSA)?
  2. glen1971 Sparks Level

Is it their corporate policy or are they able to assist you with the regs that they are looking at? Some companies set the bar higher than others, and some try to but might misinterpret what they are reading..
    I have worked for one, that does the same, but it is their policy and depends on the Arc Flash hazzard and work being done.
  3. FEC2 Junior Level

Their safety manager is from the States and he is convinced it is a Canadian national regulation, not a corporate policy. We have done work for their US facilities and this is not the policy there. It is certainly not a bad idea to have a second person in remote areas of a large plant like this but I cannot find a "chapter and verse" regulation requiring it.
  4. Zog Sparks Level

There are some OSHA requirements for a 2nd person but only for certian jobs >600V.

However, there is a requirement that applies here for the CPR qualified person. Some larger industrial facilities will have a 1st respomse team that is supposed to be able to get anywhere in the plant in 4 minutes but with roof top substations sometimes that is not possible.

1910.269 (b)(1)"Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid training." When employees areperforming work on or associated with exposed lines or equipment energized at 50volts or more, persons trained in first aid including cardiopulmonary resuscitation(CPR) shall be available as follows:

(b)(1)(i) For field work involving two or more employees at a work location, at least twotrained persons shall be available. However, only one trained person need beavailable if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within 3months of their hiring dates.

(b)(1)(ii) For fixed work locations such as generating stations, the number of trained persons available shall be sufficient to ensure that each employee exposed toelectric shock can be reached within 4 minutes by a trained person. However, where the existing number of employees is insufficient to meet this requirement(at a remote substation, for example), all employees at the work location shall betrained.
  5. PBG Junior Level

Hi FEC2,

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me. The Ontario OH&S Act - Ontario Regulation 213 Section 181 (tried to post a link, but being a new member I was not permitted to) references the Electrical & Utilities Safety Association of Ontario (EUSA) (recently changed to IHSA). In the EUSA 2009 rules book it states in section 122

Working Alone
    1. A worker must NOT work alone when,
    a) working aloft on steel, wood, or concrete structures;
    b) working aloft on/in an elevated work platform or aerial device;
    c) working aloft on a straight or extension ladder before it is secured;
    d) working on nominal voltage of 300 V or greater;
    e) working in proximity to exposed energized appatratus exept when meetin conditions in 2 a) below;
    f) performing switching operations in an underground electrical system that involes the operation of elbows or exposed switching devices;
    g) working in a confined space;
    h) ...
    i) ...
    and it continues....

3. When a second worker is required, he/she must be a suitably equipped, competent worker who can perform rescue operations including CPR, and shall be available and positioned to see the worker performing the work.

Section 181-195 of the Ontario OH&S Act - Ontario Regulation deals specifically with Electrical Hazards, you may find it an interesting read.

Hope this answers your question.

Paul
    Josh Gatlin likes this.
  6. FEC2 Junior Level

Thanks, Paul - great information!
  7. Dagoberto Junior Level

I'm from Brazil. Here we have a Regulatory Standard N.° 10 - Safety Electrical Wirings and Services that states in section 10.7.3 "The services in energized electrical installations on HV (higher than 1000 V), as well those services on Electric Power System (Grid for us), must NOT be executed alone". The 2nd person is required to act as a safety man.
  8. twm22 Junior Level

9. Terry Becker Sparks Level

An Electrical Safety Standby should be defined in your company's Electrical Safety Program.

The IHSA has no regulatory authority in ON, the MOL does.

Industry accepted practice is Electrical Safety Standby depending on the work task e.g. racking in and out, applying temporary protective grounds, etc..

We do not need two Qualified Electrical Workers to perform voltage testing, diagnostics etc.

Be careful here, we need to ensure we have two workers for the right reasons. \

Regards;
    Terry Becker, P.Eng.
    ESPS Electrical Safety Program Solutions INC.
    See my LinkedIn Profile
  10. PaulEngr Sparks Level

In the states, at least 2 people are required when doing almost anything above 600 V with some specific exceptions. This is defined in OSHA 1910.269. Because of where it is located, it only applies to generation/transmission/distribution equipment. OSHA has taken the stance of applying "utilization rules" to utilities since 2009 when the equipment is clearly utilization (or even "comingled" rules). I have not yet seen the opposite...applying G/T/D rules to sites which have aspects of a utility such as extensive use of overhead power distribution lines.
  11. rescuesquad Junior Level

Yes you are absolutely right. A rescue person should be professionally trained and experienced. As these operations are very risky and anything can happen at rescue site, a rescuers should always be prepared for it.
    As it is his/her duty to save the life of victim.
    And the only thing that matters in the end is training and experience.
  12. printer Junior Level

Manitoba regulations,

Part 38 - Electrical Safety SAFE Manitoba

38.14(2) If it is not reasonably practicable to de-energize electrical
    equipment before electrical work is done, an employer must ensure that no
    electrical worker begins work on energized electrical equipment until
    (a) the employer, in consultation with the worker, has
    (i) assessed the conditions or circumstances under which the
    electrical worker is required to work, and
    (ii) developed safe work procedures that include the use of safety
    equipment appropriate for the task;
    (b) the safe work procedures developed under subclause (a)(ii) have been
    agreed to by the employer and the worker;
    (c) the worker has been trained in the safe work procedures;
    (d) the employer has designated a worker who is trained in emergency
    response procedures as a standby worker at the location where the
    electrical work is to be done;
    (e) the standby worker designated under clause (d) is present at the
    location where the work is to be done; and
    (f) the worker wears all personal protective equipment appropriate for the
    work to be done.
    38.14(3) The standby worker designated under clause (2)(d) must be
    present at the location of the electrical work at all times when the work is being
    done.

Not sure what the other provinces have.
  13. PaulEngr Sparks Level

Another important distinction in the States is that an attendant is required for confined space duty and that this person is pretty limited in any other tasks that they may perform. HOWEVER when it comes to electrical codes, there is really no restriction on what tasks the person may perform and any responsible facility would make them do something other than just stand around if for no other reason than to avoid boredom.

MSHA (closest we have to M421) for mining requires no one work alone when "hazards are present" unless they can be seen/heard/communicate with others. There is almost no legislative or case material for this, so there is no definition of what standard to apply to "hazards are present". In the case of electrical work we have interpreted it as being those cases where an EEWP would be required as the standard. And using 70E and the distribution rules, it is clear that there is a need for immediate response. The reason being that since it is so easy to cause the heart to go into fibrillation due to shock and death comes within a few minutes, immediate response is required, and simply having a radio with someone is not sufficient.
  14. Terry Becker Sparks Level

Wanted to confirm that ONT REG. 213/91 - Construction Projects only applies to construction, and doesn't apply to operating facilities where only maintenance work is performed?