1. Welcome to the Arc Flash Forum - A Global Community for Arc Flash and Electrical Safety!
    Join our global community and become part of the conversation
    • Create your user profile page - Tell us about yourself!
    • Add your profile photo
    • Post questions and responses
    • Contribute your articles to the Library
    • Receive weekly email updates
    • "Like" other member's posts
    • ...and much more!
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-874-8883

    Thanks for stopping by! - Jim Phillips

    Learn More About the Arc Flash Forum Here

    Login Trouble? Lost Password? [Login Help]

Energized Electrical Work Permit

Discussion in 'NFPA 70E - Electrical Safety in the Workplace' started by psThomas, Jan 19, 2009.

Share this Site with others
  1. psThomas Junior Level

    I am not liking what I am seeing for 2009 70E!! Or I am confused by the doublespeak in the code?

    Directly from the 2009 70E code:
    130.1(B)(3) Exemptions to Work Permit. Work performed within the Limited Approach Boundary of energized electrical conductors or circuit parts by qualified persons related to tasks such as testing, troubleshooting, voltage measuring, etc., shall be permitted to be performed without an energized electrical work permit, provided appropriate safe work practices and personal protective equipment in accordance with Chapter 1 are provided and used. If the purpose of crossing the Limited Approach Boundary is only for visual inspection and the Restricted Approach Boundary will not be crossed, then an energized electrical work permit shall not be required.

    I am confused. The first sentence "Work performed within the LIMITED Approach Boundary" - is this inclusive of the Prohibited Approach Boundary as well. It would have to include the Prohibited Approach Boundary to perform a voltage test. (If a meter test lead has crossed the Prohibited Approach Boundary it is an extension of the worker - I am pretty sure that is somewhere in the code or the handbook).
    The second sentence seems to indicate that a work permit is not required only if visual inspections are occuring within the Limited Approach Boundary as long as the Restricted Approach Boundary is not crossed.

    I am trying to understand if the code is telling me that we need to have our electricians use an Energized Electrical Work Permit to troubleshoot basic things such as 120V I/O from a PLC. I either do not know how to read the code or it is not clear.:mad:
  2. WDeanN Sparks Level

    It took me a minute for find the source of confusion, but now I agree.

    I think there should have been two bullet points here, one for troubleshooting, and one for visual inspection. In that case, troubleshooting would cross the LAB, as well as the RAB, but since only the LAB is mentioned, you should be ok, crossing both it and the RAB for troubleshooting without a permit, provided the other measures are met.

    Does this sound right?
  3. Zog Sparks Level

    The LAB, RAB, and PAB all apply to the worker or any conductive they are holding, test leads for a voltmeter are not conductive. The finger gaurds on the test leads just happen to be the same as the PAB. Example, test leads rated for 600V have finger gaurds at 1", so your fingers should never get closer than that, the PAB is also 1" (Or avoid contact for lower voltages). You dont think that is a coincedence do you? :)

    So to answer your question, you do not need a EEWP to T/S as in your example.
  4. MikeMc Junior Level

    I guess I am the one that is confused now:

    As I read it, they do not have to have a work permit for testing/troubleshooting under 2009 70E.

    To enter the PAB you have to be wearing PPE regardless of what you are doing. As for the 1" test leads, my 20KV meter uses a bit longer finger guards than that but if I were testing a 12.5 KV circuit I would be in PPE anyway because my test equipment has entered the PAB and I am well inside the AFB.

    Am I reading this wrong?
  5. Zog Sparks Level

    No you have it right, just because youare required to wear PPE does not necessarily mean you need an EEWP. Testing and T/S do not require an EEWP, otherwise guys like haze would do nothing all day but fill out permits.

Share This Page